History

Live Oak Adult Day Services first opened its day care program for frail elderly residents in Los Gatos, California in 1983. At that time there were only eight clients and it operated only two days a week, under the auspices of the First United Methodist Church of Los Gatos.

In 1985, the agency was incorporated as an independent, nonsectarian institution and by 1986 was open every weekday, serving up to one hundred clients each week. In 1989 another center was opened in San Jose in response to the great community need for such services. A third site was opened in Gilroy in 1993.

Our fourth location – which is the first agency-owned site – is at 1147 Minnesota Avenue in San Jose, where our main office is now located. This Center opened in October, 1999. In addition to the new construction for the adult day care center, Live Oak undertook the restoration of a historic San Jose home, known as the Paul and May Clark House – built in 1913. Our agency offices are located in the original building – a perfect example of “adaptive re-use” of a historical site. Both the original building and the new Center are connected with an interior hallway.

The exterior of the original building is exactly as it was designed by architect Frank Delos Wolfe, an associate of Frank Lloyd Wright. The Clark House was declared a Historical Landmark of the City of San Jose in November, 1999. Eventually Live Oak hopes to furnish the original building with appropriate Arts & Crafts style furnishings. Anyone interested in the history of the Clark House, or with helping us with this project, may call our office to arrange a tour of the premises.

Live Oak Adult Day Services now has four full-time adult day care centers for seniors residing in Santa Clara County. The most recently-acquired site in Cupertino is the results of a merger with the former Cupertino Senior Day Services on July 1, 2003. This center serves primarily residents of the cities of Cupertino and Sunnyvale.